Wish Upon a Party

Saturday 15 November 2014

Frozen Decorations for Stage Settings




Like many mothers of little girls, I could not help being drawn into the magic of the Disney movie Frozen. So I was delighted when I was approached through a mutual friend to set up a Frozen stage setting for a school social event. The request came after I posted on my Facebook page a Winter Wonderland picture from a previous Christmas set up done for a Christmas function.



 I would have to say it was probably one of the most fun set ups I have ever been requested to do. I just love the excitement and curiosity of children and listening to all the comments and ooohs and aaaahs.    It makes all the loading, carting and set up time worthwhile. 



I love the process of seeing something come together.





These gorgeous honeycomb spheres were purchased from The Reject Shop.  They hang from the willow branches of my handmade trees.


I set out to find items to make an ice fountain.  I really wanted to make a large one but carting would have been an issue.  So I found some plastic bowls from Bunnings along with some plastic garden pots. Then I went to the paint section and bought some small sample pots of paint that were on the mistinted rack.  They are great for little craft projects.  After painting a sealer/binder and a couple of coats of base paint, I sponged a coat of white using a sea sponge.  I also purchased some clear silicone and a silicone gun.  I wanted the fountain to have an ice crystal look.  I found bags of  clear plastic crystals from Red Dot and siliconed them to the edges of the bowls.  I plastered a cardboard tube into a small plant pot at the top of the fountain for the "spray" to sit into.  This was found at a local party shop for around $5.
To make the fountain glow I used 3 battery operated lights covered with transparent white fabric.  I had intended to use blue cellophane but the fabric created a softer look.







I love creating magical ponds.  I used to use mirrors but I am always taking into consideration safety.  This pond is created by using layered fabric edged with foliage.  Battery operated lights sit underneath the shear fabric and can be set on either the flash setting to look like flowing water, or left to just glow.


Placed inside the water lily is a flower light which flashes different colours.





Unfortunately, I cannot take credit for this amazing Olaf.  He was made by Cate from South Coogee and is made from plastic bags and tape.  I am in the process of making my own large Olaf substituting the inner plastic bags for foil so Olaf can be moulded to sit easier.  However, I don't think he will turn out half as good as this.




These items are available for hire at http://www.wishuponaparty.com.au/#!frozen/c38i 















No comments:

Post a Comment