Wish Upon a Party

Saturday 29 November 2014

Taffyta Muttonfudge Costume


My daughter attended a party this year and insisted that she just had to dress up as the Wreck it Ralph character Taffyta Muttonfudge.  I only had a couple of weeks to put something together so I hit my local thrift stores to hopefully remodel some finds rather than buying fabric and starting from scratch.  I was so lucky to find a child size horse riding helmet for around $6.  I could not believe my luck to find something so similar to the shape I needed for the motor racing helmet.  I already had some pink lycra, green crepe and pink taffeta in my stash of  fabrics.  I found an adult sized striped t-shirt  and a fleece zip up jacket to cut up. 


THE HELMET




I cut triangles of fabric, enough to cover the helmet and after sewing into a circle 
I stretched it over the helmet.





After ripping out the lining and unscrewing the cap, I tacked the lyra to the velvet on the inside of the hat.




I traced around the peak of the helmet and cut a piece of green crepe to size.  



The tip of the peak was machine sewn and tacked by hand to the lycra.  I hand sewed a band of fabric cut on the bias to cover the join. I was not quite happy with the finish of the peak but time was against me.


I machine sewed some strawberry leaves and attached them under the cap.




I then  reattached the lining by hand.



For the strawberry pips I just used jewel stickers.






THE DRESS



I don't have any pictures of the construction of the rest of the costume however it was very simple.  I traced around a simple dress on butcher paper to make a pattern.  I cut out a back and front, overlocked, stitched together and hemmed.


THE PANTS


There was not enough fabric in the t-shirt to make the pants so I used the left over lycra to make the knickers.  Once again I traced around a pair of leggings folded with the crease down the front of the pants.  I cut the top of the pattern to use for the knicker pattern and the base for the legs.  Then cut out out from the t-shirt and lycra and sewed together.  I made a hem and threaded through some elastic at the waist.






THE JACKET

I found an old fleece jumper and cut of the arms off and made some taffeta arms instead and reused the old cuffs.  I did this as the jumper was a bit worn.  Then I added a stripe of white down each side of the zip and cut out a collar from the cream crepe.  Then a band of taffeta at the bottom of the jacket .


I bought a long white wig from Gone Bazaar in Canning Vale and cut into a bob.




A little bit of makeup. 




And we are ready to go!


No comments:

Post a Comment